Non-melanoma skin cancer
"In early localized skin cancer, survival rates are very high, above 80 or 90%. In these cases, surgery makes it possible to control the disease".
DR. EDUARDO CASTAÑÓN ÁLVAREZ
COORDINATOR. SKIN CANCER AND MELANOMA AREA
Skin cancer is one of the tumors with the highest incidence in human beings, however, we must emphasize its preventable and curable nature.
In most cases they appear in people over 30 years old and, mainly, in those with significant sun exposure, frequent burns and who have light skin that is difficult to pigment.
There are two types of non-melanoma skin cancer: basal cell carcinoma and spinocell carcinoma.
The causes that cause the appearance of skin cancer are sun exposure and, in some cases, genetic inheritance.
The prognosis of cure will depend on early detection and proper removal, which favors the healing of skin cancer.
Our specialists are experts in performing Mohs surgery, a highly complex microscopic technique that provides better healing results than conventional techniques.
A PERSONALIZED MEDICINE
peace of mind
Request a second opinion from our professionals with great experience in the diagnosis and treatment of oncological diseases
In 3 days, without leaving home.
What are the symptoms of skin cancer?
Each type of skin cancer has its own manifestations, but all of them have in common the appearance of skin lesions that gradually grow.
- The basal cell carcinoma usually appears in an area of skin, chronically exposed to the sun, as an ulcerated lesion, pearl or simply as a change in skin color, without a history of previous premalignant lesion.
- In contrast, spinocellular carcinoma is usually presented, mostly as a scabby lesion on a reddish skin (actinic keratosis) and that, over time, growth and sometimes bleeding, can reveal a malignant transformation.
- In other cases, as in the mucous membranes and, in particular, in the lip mucous membrane, premalignant whitish plaques appear (leukoplakia), as a consequence of intense solar exposure in that area or a long-standing tobacco habit. When this type of tumor becomes a skin neoplasm, it is clinically characterized as an excruciating (bulging) tumor lesion, which can ulcerate and is often accompanied by bleeding.
Most of the cases appear in people over 30 years old and, mainly, in those with an important sun exposure, frequent burns and who present a clear skin that is difficult to pigment.
In short, reducing exposure to solar radiation and taking the necessary photoprotection measures are fundamental weapons in the decrease of the incidence of skin tumors in general. The aim of photoprotection is to prevent the damage that exposure to ultraviolet radiation causes to the skin.
Do you have any of these symptoms?
You may have non-melanoma skin cancer
What are the causes of skin cancer?
Basically, there are two causes that can determine the appearance of skin cancer:
- Firstly, it has been established that solar radiation is the most important factor. This very important role is shown by the appearance of this type of neoplasms in people with significant sun exposure throughout their lives, and also by the appearance of these neoplasms in anatomical areas exposed to sunlight.
- And secondly, in many cases, the appearance of a skin cancer is determined by a genetic factor, when there is a family history of skin neoplasms.
What is the prognosis of skin cancer?
Early detection and correct removal promotes the healing of skin cancer.
Not all skin cancers have the same prognosis. In addition, the same type of cancer, depending on whether it is more or less advanced, will have a worse or better prognosis.
Basal cell carcinomas
In many cases, this type of skin cancer is cured with the correct removal of the entire tumor.
In addition, since this type of neoplasm very rarely produces metastasis, correct surgery completely eliminates the disease.
Spinocellular carcinoma can produce metastases, mainly in those tumors of long evolution. However, if surgical removal is performed early, the prognosis is usually good in most cases.
How is non-melanoma skin cancer diagnosed?
Our experience allows us to detect this pathology in early stages and offer greater possibilities of cure. A thorough and detailed examination by the dermatologist is sufficient to make an early diagnosis of pre-malignant lesions and to indicate a treatment according to the type of lesion.
The Dermatology Department of the University of Navarra Clinic has the most advanced technology for the diagnosis and treatment of this pathology.
Dermatoscopes with epiluminescence allow us to explore the moles, obtaining more information than is available from an ocular inspection alone. In addition, we can digitize that information to use it in future revisions and to be able to carry out comparative studies of your skin and the lesions it presents.
How is skin cancer treated?
In the Clinic we are specialists in Mohs surgery, controlled under the microscope. It is a technique of great complexity and specialization, but it provides the best results.
This technique is very delicate and requires very specialized personnel. It is applied in cases such as large neoplasms, with a long evolution time or in those with several local recurrences due to incomplete removal.
The Department of Dermatology of the University of Navarra Clinic has great experience in this type of surgery. It provides the highest rate of cure, compared to traditional techniques.
Where do we treat it?
IN NAVARRE AND MADRID
The Department of Dermatology
of the Clínica Universidad de Navarra
The Department of Dermatology of the Clinica Universidad de Navarra has extensive experience in the diagnosis and treatment of dermatological diseases.
We have extensive experience in highly precise surgical treatments, such as Mohs surgery. This procedure requires highly specialized personnel.
We have the latest technology for the dermo-aesthetic treatment of skin lesions, with the aim of achieving the best results for our patients.
Diseases we treat
Why at the Clinica?
- Experts in Mohs Surgery for the treatment of skin cancer.
- We have the best technology for dermo-aesthetic treatments.
- Safety and quality assurance of the best private hospital in Spain.